Orange Whiskey Loaf and Seeded Boule

Another weekend, another day to try things out. I've made my fruity loaf last week, and it was gone, in like, four days. I ran out of bread in the house - had to buy some shop stuff - shock, horror!! Reminded me how much I hate the shop-bought stuff. To make sure that I don't have to do anything as awful as buying bread for a shop again, I've decided to make two loaves this morning.

I was drinking my morning glass of OJ this mornings, and decided that would make a great inspiration for a loaf of bread, something sweet for a morning toast. I’ve ended up adding some whiskey to bread as well to make it a bit more interesting, but it wasn’t cause I was necking whiskey first thing in the morning, just thought orange and whiskey would go well together.

Orange Whiskey Loaf
150g white starter (100% hydration)
100g orange juice
180g water
30g whiskey
400g white flour
50g wholemeal flour
90g rye flour
4 Tbsp orange jam or marmalade
50g unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ tsp salt

We’ve tried making orange whiskey marmalade last year - pain orange marmalade turned out well, set really well and was tasty. With the orange whiskey marmalade I think we went a bit overboard with whiskey, and the marmalade never set, no matter how long we boiled it. Oh well, the flavour was still quite nice, gives you a bit of a kick with your toast in the morning :) I’ve had a jar of it opened in the fridge and decided to use it in this recipe.

So, for the actual bread - place starter, orange juice, water, whiskey, all flours and orange marmalade in a mixer. Mix on speed 1 for 6 minutes. Cover and leave for 20 minutes. Add salt and soft butter (in small pieces) and mix on speed 2 for two more minutes. The dough will be quite soft, with a nice citrus smell and very buttery feel to it.
Counting all the water in the recipe (including water from the starter) and all the flour (including flour from the starter), it would make the dough 62% hydration.

Oil a large bowl with sunflower or olive oil and place the dough into the bowl. Cover the bowl with glad wrap or a shower cap, stretch and fold three times during first hour and a half and then leave out on a counter, at room temperature for another four hours.
Four hours later, the dough is ready, its looking very puffy and the smell has developed even more - both orange an whiskey smells are very distinctive - so far, so good. Shape the dough into a loaf - I think an oval shape, and continue proofing in a banneton. the shaping was a bit tricky, to be honest - the dough was very very sort still and quite tacky - i had to oil both my hands and the kitchen counter a bit, that seemed to do the trick.
All that sugar and alcohol did its magic, and it only took three hours for it to double in volume, the loaf rose well above the sided of banneton and was still smelling heavenly.
A couple of shallow slashes, and its ready to go into the oven.
Preheat oven to 210 an hour or so before baking to make sure that its super hot. Bake for 20 minutes, rotate and bake for further 20 minutes.
The whole house now smells like jam making factory - properly orangy, I like it, I like it a lot.
I left it to cool down overnight and had a slice for breakfast, toasted with some butter - i could taste both orange and a hint of whiskey, but nothing too over-powering.

Had another slice of it the next day - man!!! did it taste orangy now?! Its really nice just toasted with lots of butter on top, but I went over-board the other day, and used both butter and orange marmalade with it - sooooo good.



Mr Ranty likes bread with lots of seeds and grains, what he calls a "knibbly" bread, something that goes well with savoury spreads and cheeses and other yummy toppings. Mmmmmmmm, cheese, now I am thinking about grilled cheese on toast or maybe a cheesy bread .... something for next weekend perhaps.

Seeded Loaf
100g white starter (100% hydration)
290g water
515g white flour
80g seed mix
1 ½ tsp salt

I was a bit lazy this morning and instead of making up my own seed mix, I've used Shipton Mill 5 Seed Mix, but you can use any mix of seeds and grains. I really like flax seeds, brown or golden, millet, oats, sunflower seeds, anything you can think of, really.
This is a very easy recipe - place everything, but the salt in a mixer, mix of speed 1 for 6 minutes, cover and leave for 20 minutes, add salt and mix for another 2 minutes, on speed 2. The ususal business for the proofing stage - stretch and fold three times over first half an hour and then leave it to it for the next four hours. Keep the dough covered with plastic or a tea towel to stop it from drying out. Its quite warm in London today, so I have to be careful not to leave the dough in the direct sunlight. I am not sure whether its actually going to do anything to the dough, but I'd rather be on a safe side.
If you count seeds as part of dry ingredients, together with the flour, it would make the dough 53% hydration, or 60% hydration is you don’t count the seeds. It felt a bit of the dry side, and by now i started to worry whether the bread would turn out to be a brick. Nothing to do but wait and see.

After four hours of bulk fermentation the dough has doubled in size and is ready for shaping, I think I am going to do a round shape for this loaf. The dough was very easy to shape, didn’t need any extra flour or oil on the counter - shape the dough into a boule and place in a floured banneton, cover with plastic and leave to proof at room temperature for about four hours.
It could have probably done with another hour or so of proofing, but it was getting quite late, and I decided to go ahead with it anyway - a few deep slashes, to help it spring in the oven, and in it goes. Bake for 40 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 210 C, rotating once half way through.
It didn’t spring a massive amount during baking, but I shouldn't have worried, the bread turned out really light and soft inside. Between the three of us, we finished it in two days, that says something.


Oh, and it did go really well with grilled cheese on top, just in case you were wondering

Photos thanks to Mr Ranty - nice focus, I think

Comments