Malty Poppy Seed Bread

I had every intension to bake a Multigrain Bread, following Nancy Silverton’s recipe. Got a gook out, read all the ingredients, drafted a timeline to suit my weekend and the recipe and …. ended up baking two completely different loaves – all made up recipes too. What is it they say about best laid plans?

When I did ask Mr Ranty what I should bake, he mentioned a sandwich he buys from EAT that uses some of brown malty bread with poppy seeds in it. That sounded like an interesting idea, so I decided to give that a go. Bake bread to match something I’ve never seen and never tasted – if that’s not a challenge, I don’t know what is

Malty Poppy Seed Bread

118g white starter (100% hydration)
25g barley malt
25g molasses
90g milk
200g water
400g white flour
100g rye flour
1 ½ tsp salt
3 Tbsp poppy seeds

Place starter, water and milk in a free-standing mixer. Add barley malt and molasses into the mixing bowl – you can probably just chuck all the ingredients together, but I wasn’t sure whether it would be a good idea to poor sugary syrups directly on top of the starter, but I figured mixed with water it should be all right.
Add flours and mix on speed 1 for 6 minutes, leave to autolise for 20 minutes covered with a tea towel to prevent drying out. Add salt and poppy seeds and mix on speed 2 for 2 minutes.

Place the dough into an oiled bowl and do three stretch and folds over the next hour and a half, every thirty minutes, covering between each stretch and fold. After the last stretch and fold, cover the bowl and leave it to prove at room temperature for 4 hours to 6 hours, until the dough doubles in size.

I was a bit lazy and didn't wait for it to double, and it was getting rather late, so I shaped it as it was - it a round shape, covered it and placed it in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight.

In the morning take the shaped dough out of the fridge and leave it to warm up at room temperature for 3 to 4 hours or until it doubles in volume in the banneton.

Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 200C, about an hour before you want to bake. Slash the loaf.

Bake for 40 minutes, rotating it half way through to ensure even baking, until the loaf is nice and brown colour.

I am very pleased with the flavour of the loaf, especially as the molasses flavour developed a bit more and became richer but less stronger a couple of days later.

I might use just a little bit less molasses next time and leave it to prove a bit longer before shaping, but in general, I am very very happy with this recipe.


Comments